- Dull, aching head pain
- Sensation of tightness or pressure across your forehead or on the sides and back of your head
- Tenderness on your scalp, neck or shoulder muscles
If you suffer from headaches, you are not alone. Approximately 80-90% of people across the U.S. endure occasional or frequent tension headaches. They are also the third most commonly reported source of pain across the world! Whether they are acute and temporary or constant and chronic (such as migraines), headaches can all be treated by physical therapy.
When a headache happens, most of the time, the common reaction is to take some form of pain-relieving medication. This may help to relieve pain in the short-term, but if you are constantly suffering from headaches or migraines, pain relief drugs will not provide you with the same long-term effects that our treatments will.
Many people may not know this, but there are actually different types of headaches that all develop from different causes. The three main types of headaches include:
- The most common form of headache is a tension headache. These can occur due to repetitive motions or poor posture in the neck/head.
- Musculoskeletal headaches occur when there are significant amounts of tension in the neck, when the neck muscles and connective tissues are torn or strained. This can lead to agonizing pain felt in the neck, as well as in the face and shoulders.
- Cervicogenic headaches are also related to neck pain, involving the top three vertebrae of the neck. These headaches can develop as a result of certain conditions, such as a concussion or arthritis, but work-related strain can also trigger a cervicogenic headache.
One of our highly trained practitioners will conduct an evaluation and ask questions about your health history and symptoms, in order to determine what type of headache you are experiencing and where the pain is stemming from. A treatment plan will then be designed specifically for you and your recovery. To schedule your appointment, Contact us today at Edgartown, MA center at 508 693 3800.