Orthotics (Custom Assessment ) and Computerized Gait Scan
OFTEN USED TO HELP
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Heel Spurs
- Patellofemoral Knee Pain
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Shin Splints
- Short Limb Syndrome
Changes in the shape of your feet, the support of your ligaments, age, and complications from previous injuries can all cause strain and pain. A custom orthotic can be a key factor in maintaining the positive effects of your physical therapy and body work by providing extra support and relief for your feet.
Problems with your feet can be caused by several conditions directly related to the feet. General ailments and diseases that affect the body can also lead to foot pain. The following are several examples of conditions or diseases that can be the cause of foot pain. These conditions can all be treated with physical therapy.
- Plantar Fasciitis
- This is a painful condition along the sole of the foot; and in, the area that connects the heel bone to the toes. This is due to thick tissues along the bottom of the feet becoming tightened or inflamed. Pain can occur in the heel or the arch of the foot. It can be caused by obesity, age, and standing for long periods of time on your feet.
- Heel Spurs
- This is a bony protrusion on the heel that is usually made of some sort of calcium build-up. While the actual spurs are not painful, they can poke the tissues in the heel and potentially cause severe pain. Many of the same risk factors that cause plantar fasciitis can also cause heel spurs.
- Diabetes can lead to foot problems because of restricted blood flow and nerve damage. When nerves are damaged through diabetes this is referred to as neuropathy. When the muscles in the foot no longer function together properly this can cause unequal pressure on the foot. Unequal pressure can result in sores, infections, and in extreme cases, amputation. Proper footwear can help prevent foot problems related to diabetes.
- Arthritis is a debilitating joint disease that can affect even the joints throughout the foot. Stiffness and swelling in the joints can eventually lead to permanent damage from compensating by the way you walk or stand.
- This painful disorder affects the joints and bones along the ball of the foot. Often caused by ill-fitting or restrictive footwear, orthotics are usually recommended to help reduce pain caused by metatarsalgia.
Custom Orthotics Program at VCM
Our clinic works collaboratively with Segel Podiatry to utilize the most advanced technology including computerized gait scan analysis, computerized treadmill pressure analysis, video analysis, and biomechanical posture analysis. Vineyard Complementary Medicine, physical therapists are specifically trained in musculoskeletal movement with extensive knowledge of gait analysis and biomechanics of the lower extremities. Working collaboratively with Dr. Jerome Segel, highly renowned Doctor of Podiatry, we provide you with orthotics that uniquely fit the contours of your feet to give you the maximum amount of function, support, and comfort. Our program includes a comprehensive orthotic evaluation, walking analysis, a complete foot musculoskeletal and neurologic screening and a custom fitted orthotics. Ongoing assessment of the orthotics may be needed to provide the best result possible.
For more information, Contact us at Edgartown, MA center.